The joy and hope of a request

So then, just like that. I get a request for a full.

I'd like to think of myself as a pragmatic atheist (is there any other kind) who actively rejects all superstitious notions such as fate, signs and the significance of cracks in pavements. But when I saw that a new Australian publisher, Dragonfall Press, had just started requesting for manuscripts last year I knew it was a sign to get off my arse and finish the Last Re-write. During this re-draft, I added back a previously rejected subtitle for the manuscript, so that it became once again "Magickless, Dragon and the Crow"... and so the question of where to send it to for the last big push for traditional publishing -- before I threw in the towel and went ebook indie -- it was clear where I would send it too.

Now I'm not saying that I believe in fate or any of that, my honest thoughts are that seeing the publisher in some way made me change the title back to something I had left behind somewhere round draft 7 or 8, but this re-discovery was in itself the step i needed to re-connect with my story and bring me back to full steam ahead. This led to better writing which led to their request for a full (my first yet!) and so fate had nothing to do with it, just hard work and motivation. The only reason I'm even writing this is to remind myself that in the future, when I've well and truly convinced myself that all I ever had was hard work and patience (and friends and family to filter me) I will remember that driving all that was a deep seed belief that Dragons were important. 

T.B  

--
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Comments

Popular Posts